Monday, October 1, 2018

Yo amo a Santa Eulalia


Suzy here; I've been neglecting my blogging duties as I have been coordinating plans for the team, travel, supplies, meds, money, food, etc. I could resist no longer, because we are back to one of our favorite places, up in the beautiful and chilly mountains of the altiplano close to 10,000 feet in Santa Eulalia. I can't help but remember Melissa Paulissen, our pioneering resident when we began this residency trip 6 years ago. She was soooo happy up here and suggested that we keep coming back! The decision to return for this, now our 5th time, was easy to make.


Medicos de Canada visiting Santa Eulalia. José Andrés is second from right
We returned to the CAP today, this time to teach ultrasound again, as in Jacaltenango. They had also received an ultrasound machine from the Ministerio de Salud without any training. We were greeted by a sign advertising the Canadian doctor brigade, which we found amusing. Why not pretend to be from Canada and that we have a different president for a few days? Our nurse friend from the CAP, Jose Andrés, had set it up for us to have about a dozen pregnant women to get ultrasounds, and with 3 machines (2 that we brought and the 1 in the CAP), our team was able to train six or so care providers on the basics throughout the day without being overwhelmed or rushed. The personnel were interested, well organized and very quick to learn; also very appreciative which made it super gratifying! 
One of the nurses explains (in Q'anjob'al) her ultrasound while her spouse and comadrona watch.
Jemie imparting some ultrasound skills to Dr. Susan from Casa Materna
We also got treated to an awesome lunch by the municipality, and even received a visit from the Princesa Jolom Konob, (the Q'anjob'al word for Santa Eulalia) and of Xinabajul (the Mam word for Huehuetenango).

Chris meets the reigning Princesa Maya
Delivery room at the CAP in Santa Eulalia
















My personal highlight for the day was delivering a soccer ball and pump that Kristen brought to the director of the school. All the children were in a field nearby today, because it is the "Día del Niño" and they got to play instead of go to school. When I went to meet the director I was swarmed by a sea of children, who all gathered around me and leaned their heads towards me; I was instructed that they were waiting for a blessing and I should touch their heads. I would touch them and they would then run away laughing. It was like a scene from Jesus Christ Superstar!  It made my heart sing.
Director of the nearby school (right)


Kids thanking us for the soccer ball











La Santa Susana, ha ha






2 comments:

  1. Please give a big hug to all of my friends in Santa Eulalia! thanks for bringing the stories to us!

    ReplyDelete